On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:31:15 +0100
Keith Edmunds <k...@midnighthax.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 05:46:24 +0100, l...@discoverlinux.co.uk said:
>
> > The Android OS is excellent with plenty of good free apps to
> > download which makes it far better than any other phone.
>
> That's very simplistic. For a start, the Android OS isn't a phone.
> Secondly, the excellence of a phone is not determined solely by the
> availability of free apps as you imply. You haven't taken any account
> of the user's needs: for you, and Android phone may be "far better
> than any [non-Android] phone", but for many it won't.

agreed, the Nokia 1208 at 17.97 from Tesco has the perfect
specification for me, cheap, uses pay as you go and can be topped up
whenever we shop in Tesco. It has no functions other than being dual
band (whatever that means), it is a mobile telephone pure and simple.

If only they keys were more positive I'd have got one when my previous
one died. Instead I picked on the Nokia 3310 partly because it folds
in half which makes it feel smaller in the pocket ;-)

I don't use _any_ of the functions it has other than the contact list
and text messaging and even the latter I could manage without. The
contact list is essential if it is to be used away from home as I cannot
remember any phone numbers these days, I even have a yellow tab stuck
inside my wallet with my home phone number written on it :-(

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop