Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:00:09AM +0100, Bob Dunlop wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 25 at 12:10, Chris Dennis wrote:
>>> Any thoughts about how LiMo compares with Android[4]?  Or any of the
>>> other shiny toys that are 'coming soon'[5]?
>> You missed the Nokia N900[1] running Maemo[2] also comming in October.
>> Several suppliers are touting it with Vodafone/O2 contracts etc and theres
>> a rumour that Vodafone may be supplying it direct.
>>
>> Okay it's supposed to be a "web tablet" that also does phone calls.
>> But if it looks like a phone and squawks like a phone...
>
>    I've got the N800, which is two generations earlier than the
> N900. It doesn't have the slide-out keyboard, the phone function, or
> many of the other bits. However, it does run Maemo -- I have it
> running 4.1/Diablo (the N900 runs 5.0/Freemantle). I've been
> pleasantly impressed with it ever since I got it, both the hardware
> and the software.
>
>    I think I will almost certainly be getting one, although that's
> conditional on being able to find a suitable deal from a mobile phone
> company that does what I want, without sending my blood pressure
> through the roof in the process.
>
>    Hugo.

Thanks for that, Hugo.

One question, somewhat off-topic:  how well do these high-tech phones
manage with accessing the internet over GPRS rather than 3G?  Vodafone's
3G coverage is pretty much absent out here in the frontier-land of the
Hampshire/Dorset border: will that make something like the N900
pretty-much useless?

[Vodafone have a helpful map of current and planned coverage at
http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coverageviewer/web/default.aspx?configuration=vod
-- which helpfully doesn't work with Firefox or Seamonkey on Linux!]

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com