>> Yes - and trying "GET /" or similar gets a 404 response (although I
>> always
>> have to hit return twice).
>
>    Yup, that's part of the HTTP protocol. The empty line indicates the
> end of the headers.

My Apache servers do not behave in that way...

>> But it's a web-ish server running on port 5555, and claiming to be on
>> Fedora 6. That's the bit I don't understand...
>
>    I'm guessing UPnP in an embedded device of some kind.

...Which has now disappeared[1].

Either something very odd is going on with this hardware, or $ISP is lying
to me about which subscriber is attached to this IP address.

Vic.

[1] I had very different results earlier; it looked like a totally
different network...