On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:48:37PM +0100, Vic wrote:

> >> Yes - and trying "GET /" or similar gets a 404 response (although I
> >> always
> >> have to hit return twice).
> >
> >    Yup, that's part of the HTTP protocol. The empty line indicates the
> > end of the headers.
>
> My Apache servers do not behave in that way...

   I bet they do. Mine do. It's part of the HTTP RFC: CR/LF at the end
of each line of the header, and a CR/LF at the end of an empty line to
indicate the end of the headers. (Section 5, RFC 2616)

> >> But it's a web-ish server running on port 5555, and claiming to be on
> >> Fedora 6. That's the bit I don't understand...
> >
> >    I'm guessing UPnP in an embedded device of some kind.
>
> ...Which has now disappeared[1].
>
> Either something very odd is going on with this hardware, or $ISP is lying
> to me about which subscriber is attached to this IP address.

   Either one of those is plausible, although the latter is more
likely, IMO.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  --- "What's so bad about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water" ---