Vic wrote:
> I'm afraid I've fallen at the first hurdle; I've done some reading on
DIASER, but I've yet to understand what it offers me over and above
something like MooseFS and losetup -e...

(I) Damian wrote:
>For a start, and I believe this is quite visible, no system modifications
are >required for installation. There is no master-slave arrangement and the
whole >systems lives in user space which lends itself to easy management,
migration >and future self healing.

Just wanted to tack this feature list I have extracted from my coding and
docs, good to pause at this point to reflect. I must admit I have been very
involved at code/SVN level and I have neglected some of the outward facing
presentation. New overview diagram next while I have my business hat on.

DIASER is for long term digital archive storage, it securely...

1) Accumulates
2) Geo-Duplicates
3) Manages

    * Engineered storage architecture
    * Exists and operates in dedicated user accounts
    * Flat, human readable storage structure
    * Highly resilient and robust
    * Large volume capacity (TB's)
    * Low operational and maintenance overheads
    * Manage independently from a Perl enabled workstation
    * Manage long-term archives
    * Migratable nodes
    * Multiple configuration files for multiple installations
    * Perl installer and configurator