On 29/08/10 12:43, Jack Knight wrote:

On 29/08/10 11:20, Keith Edmunds wrote:
Can anyone recommend a scanner suitable for a non-techy Ubuntu user?

Thanks,
Keith

--
Please post to:Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Hello Keith.

Almost any HP network or USB printer will install with minimal intervention on a modern Linux distro. Also Epson are very well supported.

However, in general I'd recommend checking out support for specific models before you buy at:
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Also look at the cost of ink/toner replacements before you look only at the cost of the printer! This can make a massive difference to the running costs.

Good luck.
Now I've realised I answered a question you didn't ask, duhh, apologies for that. Now let's try to answer the one you did ask. The scanner equivalent of the above pages is at: http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

If you want something portable and for less frequent use, I use a Plustek M12 OpticSlim M12 A4 USB Scanner which fits in my laptop bag, very handy for taking onto client sites where I don't have use of a scanner.

If you want something with a sheet feeder it's probably worth considering a multifunction device such as the HP officejet range. Or Trust make a pretty nice slim flatbed model which a guy I know in work uses with Ubuntu.

Next time I'll try to remember to read the question properly before launching into an answer ;^)