On 08/29/2010 11:20 AM, Keith Edmunds wrote:
Can anyone recommend a scanner suitable for a non-techy Ubuntu user?

Thanks,
Keith

Scanners are generally supported by the SANE project. I would guess that
Ubuntu uses this too. They have a list of supported scanners.

http://www.sane-project.org/

The last time I looked at this I had great difficulty finding a model on sale
which was supported by SANE. Most supported scanners in the list are
either obsolete or very rare.

However, most Epson scanners (at least the last time I looked) are supported
by Avasys drivers. This is probably you best chance at getting support for a
current model.

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

Although they have their own tool (Image Scan!) I use it with xsane.
Installation depends on distro - I haven't used it with Ubuntu. There are deb
files and a pdf document on the site.