Hello,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 07:56:38AM +0000, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> The LPIC aspect of it is not straightforward, i.e. completion of the
> course doesn't appear to automatically provide you with certification,
> it seems it is something you need to optionally request through CompTIA*
> who are working with the OU to provide the training.

My experience in 2008 was that to have an LPI qualification (or take
any of their courses) you need to sign up for an LPI account, and by
signing up for an LPI account you consent to their marketing policy.
This enables them to share your personal information with anyone
they like.

As I found, when an organisation called LPI UK marketed their
training material, repeatedly over a period of months, to an email
address I had given to LPI (which is *not* LPI UK!) at a FOSDEM years
previous, for the purposes of taking one of their exams.

I wouldn't really have minded, but at the time there was no way to
opt out without just not using LPI. I was advised that I'd have to
opt-out individually from each of the LPI affiliates' marketing as
and when.

The opt-out procedure for LPI UK's offering was to exchange emails
with an exceptionally rude individual called Bill Quinn who took
several months to actually unsubscribe me and managed to both not
apologise and to publicly call me a liar in the process.

I hope they got their act together since then!

Cheers,
Andy