Hi,

> > It appears that the Open University are now offering a module that
> > explores the basics of Linux system administration, and that can provide
> > students with LPIC-1 certification as well as counting towards an OU
> > degree.

I think it's good that the OU have thought about this, but...

> I have done this course.  Sysadmin doesn't feature at all.  And it is nearly
> useless for LPIC-1 unless you do considerable additional work.
>
> I too have done other OU courses and found them excellent.  This one is
> lousy.
> The material is poor and full of errors and the instruction avowedly
> non-existent.  It is internet based and so there is no such thing
> as "training materials".  The first unit is simply a rehash of MS
> advertisements.  It is aimed very low (GCSE) - and it hits its mark!
>
> The final test is a test of an individual's skill with graphics and WP, not
> Linux.  Most of the instructions are specifically for Windows computers.  The
> one assignment has to be handed in in MS doc format, and you are penalised if
> the formatting is not to their liking.  odt is not accepted, nor is pdf.

However I think Lisi's comments and others suggest it's a bit
half-hearted yet. Apparently if you sign up for a Linux course I
can get MS Office at a really good price...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I am not a PC - I am a free man!