On 02/04/2011 13:31, Rob Malpass wrote:

Hi all

I know I know I should have done this years ago but I'm faced with a big geographical relocation and well over 200 VHS video tapes - all pretty full - to transfer to some PC video format.

At present, my main concern is the hardware - does anyone know a good solution. I've done about 20 tapes using a Hauppaugge winTV card connected to an XP box. The problem is / was that the connection had to be coax - hence I had to tune the card to the VCR's frequency and (as I've often found) the tuning software's not great.

There's [1] from either Maplin or Amazon but I notice some pretty damning reviews and it looks to be a 2 head machine. I'm thinking of getting a 4 head machine off ebay and then some sort of gadget to connect the two - hence I'd like a recommendation.

I don't mind Ubuntu, Slackware of W7 - I have 3 pretty well specified machines (none with under 2Gb of RAM) but none have USB3.

If anyone has found a solution that works well - please let me know. It seems, as VCRs are becoming harder to find, my time to do this massive job is running out!

Cheers

Rob

[1] http://www.maplin.co.uk/refurbished-vcr-2-pc-usb-vhs-tape-to-pc-convertor-508227

I needed to copy a few VHS tapes to DVD for work. Using my Panasonic HDD recorder, I plugged the newest video player I had into the back as an input device using a scart to RCA adapter, recorded onto the hard drive then burnt to DVD. Quality was reasonably good but I'm no video aficionado.

Once setup it was pretty simple to do.

Philip