** AdamC <kab...@gmail.com> [2011-07-26 18:38]:
> I'm looking at purchasing a scanner and thought I may as well go up to
> date and get a built in printer too (my ageing HP Desktop is
> struggling with the heavier use that wife and kids are giving it).
>
> My main reason for purchasing the scanner functionality is to become
> more paper free and store documents digitally, so ideally, I'd like a
> quick scanner which is easy to set up and can get through documents
> quickly.
<<snip>>
> Does anyone have any experience of any printer/scanner that they could
> recommend for a multi OS environment? I'm also interested in the cost
> of the ink, so wouldn't want to get an expensive to run printer.
** end quote [AdamC]

I've recently acquired a HP Officejet 8500A [1] which I'm very happy with. I
think the link is the correct model, it's the A910g [2] according to the
driver, but the model on the web panel it references model number CM756A [1].
If I'm vague it's because I didn't pay for it, but won it :) It is quite
pricey, but the other model (somewhat cheaper) looks pretty similar - I've no
idea what the differences are.

Anyway, I've always found HP pretty supportive on the Linux driver front, and
this one is quite happy printing from Linux over the network. It scans quite
happily over the network from Gimp as well (I've not played with other apps,
but it is xsane based). The only feature lacking support is the fax, but I've
not been too worried about that and have either done it from Windows or
straight from the feeder.

One of the big bonuses for me is the stand alone scanning, which it does quite
happily to a network folder on my Linux server and will save as JPG or PDF.
Multiple pages can be scanned to a single PDF. It handles duplex printing and
scanning via the ADF and easily scans single sided sheets to double sided
printouts.

Personally I seem to be using it more to scan documents to PDF on the server
than printing! So far I've not finished the supplied low capacity cartridges,
which aren't mega cheap, but at least I can buy individual colours now and not
the tri-colour one I was stuck with before.

[1]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A--All--Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB718/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712483&sr=1-3
[2]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A--All--Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB70Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712483&sr=1-1