** john lewis <johnle...@hantslug.org.uk> [2011-10-05 14:30]:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:03:47 +0100
> Paul Tansom <p...@aptanet.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info everybody.
>
> > I may well wait for a bit to see if the new iPhone has an impact on
> > pricing, but somehow I doubt it - well, little impact except on older
> > iPhone models and I don't want one of those!
>
> And according to 'El Reg' you shouldn't even think about getting the new
> iPhone
>
> Of course I am still very much a 'stick in the mud' as far as
> new-fangled gadgets are concerned and am quite happy with my Nokia
> 2760 on Tesco's payg network. It must be 6 months or more since I
> last did a £10 top-up and still have plenty of usage left.
>
> It works as a mobile phone perfectly well, but I haven't even
> attempted to set it up for email or web browsing which it apparently
> will do. I have occasionally used the camera and have bluetooth usb
> dongle to get piccies off the phone onto a pc.
>
> it cost me all of £69 several years ago and will only get replaced if
> it breaks. My wife is perfectly happy with her even older Nokia basic
> phone and refuses all attempts by a daughter who works for Tesco to
> get her an upgrade.
** end quote [john lewis]

An iPhone simply won't fit my requirements, however popular they are. This
whole process started when I got a 3 USB dongle for my netbook some time back.
I was quite impressed by the network coverage, and could get my netbook
connected on 3 where my phone failed to get a signal on Orange. This could be
down to the phone of course (my old Nokia 7110 used to get a decent signal on
Vodafone where my Erricson T230 completely failed on the same network). When I
looked into switching I found I couldn't as my phone is not compatible (no 3g).
That started the thought process.

The next trigger was Laura tweeting about GiffGaff, which got me thinking again
as their costings are pretty good - even better than my Orange PAYG package
which is much cheaper than anything they offer now (12p instead of 25p per
minute and 10p instead of 15p texts, etc.). Of course if I upgrade before
abandoning Orange it makes the phone cheaper, and having inclusive data will
start me looking at internet usage on the phone.

The other prompting trigger is plans to drop one of my land lines and switch it
to VOIP, so a SIP client on my phone would be handy too (and I really need to
check if GiffGaff block this!).