On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:24:43 +0100
Alan Pope <a...@popey.com> wrote:

> On 29 October 2011 00:58, Imran Chaudhry <ichaud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I really
> > hope 12.04 maintains Gnome 2.x as 10.04. I did try Gnome 3 but
> > discarded it as it was not as "obvious" to use as the alternatives.
> >

> It won't. GNOME 2 will be disappearing from most distros over the next
> year or so. Have you tried GNOME 3 fallback mode? It looks and feels
> more like the old GNOME 2 2-panel environment than Unity or GNOME
> Shell.

Hi Alan

I think Imran said he'd tried it but didn't like it. I didn't even
bother to try it in Debian as the live Gnome3 CD from someone else I'd
tried on my backup system defaulted to fallback mode and that was ugly.

OK, in neither case have I used the latest version of Gnome3 but have
decided it isn't for me. I think the developers have lost their way and
are inflicting their idea of how a desktop should work regardless of
how people actually use it. Not everyone wants the latest all singing
all dancing stuff that gets in the way of doing real work.

They are targeting Gnome3 at a class of user I don't fit into (probably
applies to the way ubuntu is going too but that is a distro I have no
intention of using).

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid