On Saturday 29 October 2011 12:28:01 Alan Pope wrote:
> I dont find any of the new stuff singing and dancing. The idea behind
> GNOME Shell and Unity is that it gets out of the way and lets you get
> on with your work. It mostly seems to do that for me.

For me, they just make it harder to do work.

I upgraded one of my machines to 11.10 recently, and found that Unity
was the only option installed by default (despite having Gnome on there
previously).

I tried using it, and then had problems where icons seemed to stop
working. I finally figured out that it was refusing to open a second
terminal window. Revert to Google to try and find out how to install
Gnome, which seemed a non-trivial exercise.

Just now, I was working on it and trying to figure out some complex
(for me) mencoder operations, trying to follow instructions in a
web page by typing into a terminal (by this point, I'm in Gnome).
But due to screen size, the two windows overlap, and as soon as I
click in the terminal, it brings it to the front, obscuring the
browser window I'm trying to read.

Normally this is a quick options change (and one I make on all my
PCs), but after much hunting around, I discover that 'focus follows
mouse' is no longer an option by default, and I need to install more
packages (compiz utilities) to configure what I consider to be an
incredibly basic option.

It was easier to scp the files across to my main PC (running KDE
on Ubuntu 11.04), than it was to mess around trying to 'fix' the
new Ubuntu install.

It's actively getting in my way, and preventing me from doing work.

> The target for Ubuntu is everyone. Some people will self-select
> themselves out of that group, and that's fine. Nobody is forcing
> anyone to use it.

To me, that sounds like "it's your fault if you don't like it".

The target very obviously isn't people who like KDE because it
gives them lots of control over their desktop. Gnome/Unity takes
away options (or makes them harder to find) with every release,
and unless the new defaults are exactly what you like, then that's
a bad thing.

I've only been trying Ubuntu for less than a year, but in that
time every upgrade seems to undo my configuration and makes it
harder to get back to how I want things. I'm now at the point
where I'm afraid to update my computer, and that rebuilding from
scratch with Gentoo might be the least painful option.

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn