On Sunday 30 October 2011 12:23:12 Jan Henkins wrote:
> On Sat, October 29, 2011 16:02, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > To me, that sounds like "it's your fault if you don't like it".
>
> Sadly, I have to agree here.
>
> > The target very obviously isn't people who like KDE because it
> > gives them lots of control over their desktop. Gnome/Unity takes away
> > options (or makes them harder to find) with every release, and unless the
> > new defaults are exactly what you like, then that's a bad thing.

> OK, you mentioned KDE. At the risk of being flamed to death by the mere
> mention of it, why are you not giving it a go?

Who says I'm not? :-) I run KDE on my main home desktop, and it is my
preferred desktop environment of choice. I run Gnome at work, partly
because it forces me to experience something other than KDE, and partly
because there's a bug in Ubuntu/Nvidia which causes the computer to hang
if I resize a Konsole window.

I'm running Gnome on my second desktop upstairs because I normally only
use it for watching DVDs on, so it hasn't had much in the way of
customisation. I tried doing something else on it the other day, which
was when I started running into roadblocks.

> 4.7.2,in 11.10, so it has had years to mature and improve since the 4.0
> disaster. While as a desktop environment it is far from perfect (heck, it
> mimics That Other OS! Gasp!),

Yes, it mimics RISC OS in some respects, which may be why I liked it.
Oh, you mean MS Windows? I'd have to disagree about that - all the
reasons I like it is because it's different from Windows. Okay, it has
a task bar down the bottom and a GUI file manager, but so did RISC OS
long before Windows 95 was released.

In my mind, Gnome and MacOS are much more similar to Windows than KDE is.
The skin may be different, but I find that they all get in my way for very
similar reasons (mostly caused by the lack of configurability).

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn