On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 02:14:43PM +0000, Robin Wilson wrote:
> I have been trying to upgrade packages on my Debian installation using
> apt-get upgrade. When I ran that the first time it downloaded all of
> the packages and installed a number of them, before crashing saying
> that "dpkg returned an error code (1)".

Don't suppose you remember anything else after this?

> Whenever I try and run apt-get upgrade again I get the following
> message:

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   mplayer
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 231 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0 B/6,280 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 8,012 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

What happens when you hit enter?

I'd try:
        apt-get -f install
first of all.

-f is for --fix-broken which can help in some circumstances.

Other things you could try:
        apt-get dist-upgrade
(rather than just plain upgrade)
        aptitude dist-upgrade
(since aptitude uses a slightly different algorithm)

But I suspect apt-get -f install will get you further down the path.
There's probably something dodgy somewhere which caused the original
upgrade to bomb out so it'll be interesting to see what error you do end
up with.

Let us know how you get on.

Simon

--
... <Mithrandir> An acronym that sticks to your brain like butter to teflon