Hello Gordon,

On Thu, November 17, 2011 13:15, Gordon Scott wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I'm wondering if anyone has done this.
>

> I can easily get a VPN from by desktop PC using the NetworkManager
> applet, but the server is headless, so no applet.
>
> I've now tried a whole load of different 'this is how to do PPTP to
> Windows' articles and howtos, but none seem to quite get there.

Have you considered trying OpenVPN? Unfortunately it means that you will
have to install a client on the Windows side of things, but OpenVPN is in
the standard repositories for Ubuntu.

> Does anyone know where I can find a guide that works?

Here is one that looks good:

http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn/ubuntu-10.04-lucid

Pay close attention to the certification parts and make sure you don't
miss out steps.

Just to be clear, under no circumstances can I recommend that you use
PPTP, it is simply too insecure. Yes, PPP does have some form of
encryption that can be switched on, and while it's one step up from
sending stuff in clear-text (I exaggerate, but PPTP is baaaaad), you don't
want to have to rely on that.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins