On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:37:46 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
I would recommend IPSEC but I have really bad experiences with
anything talking to the Windows implementation of IPSEC.
For example, Linux, Juniper, Cisco and most firewalls that support
IPSEC VPNs fail to work to a Windows machine.
The IPSEC connection works, but as soon as a rekey happens it all
falls apart.

That's not my experience..... I've just set up a new IPsec server which seems to work OK with Windows and Linux clients. Not tried Mac OS, but it will probably be OK.

Just whatever you do, if you're using openswan, build it from source tarballs... The Debian stable packages are very, very, broken with xL2TPd, and other l2tp implementations.

I even had to have the horrific issue of the IPsec server behind a NAT. Once I ironed out a few creases, it worked near enough first time.

Chris Malton