On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 14:29 +0000, Vic wrote:
> > The slow server day was also the very day that I finally gave up on
> > courtesy bounces.
>
> Bounces are not a courtesy; they are a significant part of the spam problem.

Sadly that's true.

Once upon a time, e-mail was either delivered or bounced and could be
relied upon to do only one of those two things. Unfortunately the
spammers have completely wrecked what once was a reliable totally
system.

> If you don't want an email *reject* it. Do not take it from the proffering
> MTA. Otherwise, if it is mis-addressed, you either swallow it (with any
> innocent originator not knowing what has happened, and so assuming that
> delivery went OK as per the mail log), or else you bounce it with the
> ever-growing likelihood that you've just sent a penis pill spam with a
> bounce notice to someone who has nothing whatsoever to do with the
> conversation.

That was the decision to which, regretfully, I came around 8 years ago.

> > I now let my ISP do most of it.
>
> I find that ISPs never actually do what I want them to. Many of them seem
> to employ what I shall refer to as a spectrum of technical competence[1].
> They also lose my traceability (which is important to me).

I use ukfsn.org, which is likely still a one-man show and the one man is
very competent but not, of course, available 24/7.

> > Seems to work OK as I lose little I expect, and I see little I don't
> > expect.
>
> How do you deal with creating many unique email addresses? What do you do
> with the inevitable spam that comes to them?

postfix handles all my mail, though there aren't all _that_ many email
addresses any more (and the thousands of mail-IDs to which I used to get
them are long gone). procmail filters what gets to me and dumps assorted
stuff into /dev/null

I really don't now see very much spam.

> Vic.
>

> [1] The ISP I used to work for had one guy who was absolutely amazing.
> Knew everything. Couldn't be faulted. But you'd usually end up with
> someone else "dealing"[2] with the ticket...

My one guy parted company with his previous ISP, so I followed him to
his new start-up.

> [2] And I use the word quite wrongly, of course.

[Grin] was there a touch of irony in that, then :-)

ATB,
        Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott            www.gscott.co.uk