On 01/07/12 10:33, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 01/07/12 10:26, Chris Liddell wrote:
>
>> Are you channelling the ghost of Steve Jobs? "There's our way, and
>> there's the wrong way" is not an attitude I ever expected to find so
>> openly espoused in the Unix world, and especially not in the Linux world.
>>

> Just because GNOME 2 did it one way for years, doesn't make it the right
> way. It just makes it the established way. The established way can still
> be wrong.

What GNOME 2 did right, *eventually*, was allow a hell of a lot of the
functionality to be configured by the user, should the user wish to do so.

What I think GNOME 3, and each generation of the Ubuntu desktop (not
just Unity, but going back several generations) have gotten wrong is
progressively removing the ability for the user to change the look, feel
and function of the user interface.

The early releases of GNOME 2 had most of that configurability removed
(compared to GNOME 1), and such was the outcry, it was gradually fed
back in over subsequent releases.

The argument I've seen cited for both GNOME 3 and Unity severely
limiting the extent of the user's ability to change the look, feel and
function of the environments is to pursue the idea of consistency across
installs - every Unity driven box should be as usable for a random user
as any other Unity driven box, same with GNOME 3. Sounds very laudable -
except, if that's all we really wanted, why would we have moved away
from Windows?

Chris