On Sunday 01 July 2012 10:45:56 Chris Liddell wrote:
> On 01/07/12 10:33, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On 01/07/12 10:26, Chris Liddell wrote:
> >> Are you channelling the ghost of Steve Jobs? "There's our way, and
> >> there's the wrong way" is not an attitude I ever expected to find so
> >> openly espoused in the Unix world, and especially not in the Linux
> >> world.
> >
> > Just because GNOME 2 did it one way for years, doesn't make it the right
> > way. It just makes it the established way. The established way can still
> > be wrong.
>
> What GNOME 2 did right, *eventually*, was allow a hell of a lot of the
> functionality to be configured by the user, should the user wish to do so.

But it was Gnome 2 which removed all that configurability in the first
place. Gnome < 1, when it was designed with Englightenment in mind, was
incredibly configurable. Far more so than Gnome has ever been since then.

KDE has kept the configuration options (KDE 4 was originally a broken
mess, but it has improved a lot since when it was first released), which
was why I moved to KDE pretty much entirely since KDE 3.

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn