On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 12:15 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I finally got around to making a simple intro to the Unity desktop. Some
> of you may find it useful for other new users. Feedback welcome.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9EHaNc2VI
>
> Cheers,

Hi Alan,

Thanks for making and posting that. It helps a lot to see what it looks
like before trying to use it in anger.

I can see a number of things that I likely will like and use.

There are still a number of things that worry me personally; a couple
below.

I typically set up my desktop so that focus is with the cursor, rather
than the last window on which I clicked. The important aspect of that
for me is that I can type into a background window, whilst watching a
foreground window for consequences. The new menu bar at the top of the
desktop presumably is with the focus, but with my background/foreground
setup, I can't presently see how that can work, as I can never get to
that menu bar with a window in focus. Is there a way to resolve that?

I presume the same would apply with the Alt-something menus, too.

Is there a means to stop the defocus 'glass' effects?  I absolutely hate
defocussed stuff as my eyes always want to try to focus them and, can't
of course.  Actually is there a quick way to get rid of all such
effects .. fading/sliding menus, beeps and boings and so on?  I know
they're perceived as 'sexy', but the wait to complete always irritates,
and extraneous effects are just a distraction.  (I normally don't even
have a desktop background image .. just a solid colour.)

BTW, FWIW, I personally find most of the 'recently used' lists useless
as I just use too many tools at any one time for them to keep up. Hm ..
I had exactly the same trouble trying to use cloud storage for backup.
Within a fairly short while the cloud was 1500 files behind the PC.

Thanks.

Gordon.