On 27/09/12 22:32, Gordon Scott wrote:
I thought it searched for 'function related' things. It seems to with
'player', as it finds a number of applications that are players, e.g.,
Timidity++.

It found nothing for 'transparency', nothing for 'glass', nothing for
'jpeg' and nothing for a number of other things for which I searched.
What are the rules by which it works?

The longer term intention of the dash facility seems to include powerful searches. This will move what is now 'category based' life towards 'search based' life. This already happened with internet search engines some time ago, courtesy of Google. It is no longer useful to declare a category of search, just enter some search terms. Microsoft, uncle Tom Cobly and all, are also moving away from categories towards search, eg in windows 7. This is ok as long as the machine power and the algorithms are up to the task. Google have proved they can do it. I do not have faith in MS, but they are rich, and I do have faith in Ubuntu and hope that it can be made to work well.

I have noticed the Dash searches are improving, although I wonder if crowd sourced help activity could be used with any advantage, or machine learning action. After all Thunderbird has a learning spam filter which is pretty good.

--
alan cocks