On 27/09/12 19:27, Gordon Scott wrote:
How can I turn off transparency on the Dash?
     I hate transparency at the best of times, but the Dash
     seems particularly hard to read. Much of the time it's
     hard to tell what's on the Dash and what's on the window behind it.

Install Compiz Config Settings Manager. Run it. Find the Unity plugin -> Experimental -> Dash Blur -> None.

Dash searches not really working?
     One of the features I thought might be OK is the search box on the
     Dash, but so often it just doesn't come up with anything useful,
     sometimes even when I know it's there!
     As an example, I _know_ wget is on this machine, but Dash doesn't
     show it even if I type "wget". If there some feature or option I need
     to get it to see stuff that exists?  wg<tab> in a terminal works OK.

For commands that don't have a desktop file (i.e. command line stuff) use ALT+F2, not the Dash.

How can I get stuff grouped in a context-related way?
      In the recent past, as an example, I have a menu from the toolbar
      with top-level headings like "Graphics", "Programming" and so on.
      Right now I find nothing like that on Unity, but I feel sure there
must
      be a way .. dedicated lens or something?

Nope. There have been suggested designs, but nothing implemented.

How to tidy the launcher?
     I've minimized the of icons on the launcher so I can see a fair
     percentage of them, but I'd like to remove most of the clutter.
     It's too full even before I open any applications.
     That's compounded somewhat, also, by the tooltip hovers vanishing
     after scanning just a couple of icons, and at present many icons
are unfamiliar.

Right click, unlock from launcher.

Can I set up so that I can type in a background window whilst watching
           the results in a foreground window?
     I use that a a lot for testing, but can't presently see any way
that it's possible
     with Unity.

"Focus follows mouse" as it's called.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/64605/how-do-i-set-focus-follows-mouse