Gordon,
Popey probably won't thank me, but the answer may be gnome-session-fallback
atop any Ubuntu/Unity, which will give you a Gnome-2-like desktop with all
the other benefits of the 12.x releases (of which there are many.

I've already gone to 12.10 on my two main machines - okay, the Beta is
still a bit buggy in places, but so much better than 12.04, already.

I *can* work in Unity, I know what it's trying to provide, mostly I choose
not to use it; mainly because Unity seems to want to make me type more,
whereas Gnome menus do 80% of the things I want within 2 clicks and there's
the old Gnome search tool for files and ALT-f2 for everything else.

Look on the bright side, Mark Spaceshuttle could have copied Windows 8
NOT-Metro, Modern-UI, Tiles-thing for a desktop instead!

Overall I still think the Vancouver team book, Unity: Simplify Your
Life<http://ubuntu-za.org/sites/default/files/unity-5-10-0-final-pdf.pdf>is
the best guide for the Unity doubter, and our Ubuntu and Unity Special
Edition is available from the main *Full
Circle*<http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ubuntu-11-10-and-unity-special-edition/>site.
--
Rgds
RC