On 02/10/12 16:06, Alan Pope wrote:
On 02/10/12 11:42, Gordon Scott wrote:

 At this moment, Unity feels a little like Ubuntu
threw a grenade into the mix.  Yes, I know it's been around a year or
so, but I ditched it back then as too profound a change. I'm trying to
prepare for what seems presently to be an inevitable change, but at the
moment that's feeling a bit of a struggle.   I'm still hoping I'll
mellow.  I like Ubuntu, it's always been relatively painless to work
with in the past.  Hopefully it will be again.

Interesting selective edit. You lost a bit.

Change is something I deal with all the time. Every working day!
I generally enjoy change provided it's manageable.

But I also had a period a few years back when change was so rapid and profound that eventually we 'slammed on the brakes' and took stock. What we concluded was that we'd spent four months getting from a system where mostly everything worked to a system where very little worked because it had all been broken by the changes on the changes. We'd done four months very hard work and had simply gone backwards.

Well, OK, I'm probably being over-sensitive at the moment. I'm feeling pretty stressed for a variety of reasons; I guess still here working now is one of those. As I said earlier, I'm trying to warm to Unity, but at present it's being a bit of a royal pain.

Part of the reason I'm facing Unity right now is the smoked laptop I mentioned. That's forced a new install at very short notice whilst I'm under a heavy workload. I presume I could still have installed 10.04LTS, but the change will come and this is a chance to try get the new desktop in an arrangement where I feel I can work comfortable with it. The Alt- problem last night wound me up quite a long way.

BTW, a big problem with animations is that they're so often in peripheral vision areas. If like me you wear varifocal glasses, you'll find that many of those animations are not just a big distraction, but because of the odd effects of the peripheral distortions can actually induce motion sickness. They're also, therefore, _very_ tiring and stressful at the end of a long day.

Gordon.