http://preyproject.com/ comes to mind.

I agree with encryption being a better option, but the risk is if you don't
shut down then your encryption key is still stored in RAM (most cold boot RAM
extraction issues have been solved by shutdown scripts in the last few years, I
think?) and if there's a bug in your screensaver (or whatever locks people out
when you resume from standby) then they can bypass it and get full access to
all your data. (E.g. Google for gnome-screensaver bypass vulnerability or, even
more worryingly, Xorg screen lockers bypass vulnerability [1].)

For a typical thief encryption is sufficient, but if someone is determined to
get your data you might want to add additional precautions.

I would never use a laptop without encryption these days - just the amount your
web browser caches about you is enough to worry me about someone stealing that
data, even if I never store passwords/etc.

Benjie.

[1]: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3484859