On 14 November 2012 09:51, Benjie Gillam <ben...@jemjie.com> wrote:

> I agree with encryption being a better option, but the risk is if you don't
> shut down then your encryption key is still stored in RAM (most cold boot
> RAM extraction issues have been solved by shutdown scripts in the last few
> years, I think?) and if there's a bug in your screensaver (or whatever locks
> people out when you resume from standby) then they can bypass it and get
> full access to all your data. (E.g. Google for gnome-screensaver bypass
> vulnerability or, even more worryingly, Xorg screen lockers bypass
> vulnerability [1].)

Yes, encryption makes remote wipe unnecessary.
If the remote person does not know your password, the information
stored on the laptop is a random pile of mess.

I think it would be nice to see a feature in Linux whereby the suspend
to RAM erases the disk password held in RAM, and prompts the users for
it on resume. That would help make a bit more of the data protected
while in standby.