Thanks for the repost Andy.

I read about this last month, and I must admit that I felt glad that I'm not a
Ubuntu user.

I'm not so worried about Canonical collecting data, as I am about whether I
trust that Canonical has my best interests at heart. And that's why I don't
use Ubuntu.

There is an implicit trust that the distribution maintainers will take
decisions that are at least in the spirit of those that you would make
yourself. I realise that sometimes upstream makes big changes (generally with
good reason), but it's up to the distributions to decide if, when and how to
adapt to it. Personally, I'm a Debian guy, and with the slight exception of
early versions of KDE4 and Amarok (notably); the debian maintainers have done
a damn good job of giving me the system I need for both work and home.

However, once you remove that trust between user and maintainer, you stand to
lose users; quickly. I realise that Canonical has to pay the bills, and I know
they want to be new and flag-waving; but the flag you need to wave is "we have
happy users", not "we keep doing things and accidentally irritate you".
Canonical's influence has been massive, and beneficial; don't underestimate
that; particularly raising the expectations for the quality of the desktop.

Unfortunately, with this following hot on the heels of Unity, I think many
users might migrate to other distro's and not recommend Ubuntu at all. After
all, would you use a system out of choice if you didn't think you could trust
the developers? Isn't that WHY we use Linux at all?

Cheers,

Tim B.

--
Hampshire Linux User Group Chairman