It may be possible to remove this with :

        # sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

Which worked for my ubuntu 12.10 box.

What I will [vent] say, is that, I have just down graded a windows 8 box
to windows 7 (after several months of irritation) and ubuntu 12.10 is
shortly to be replaced with something else.

I am growing tired of the minds that implement these new fangled desktop
'experiences' that, imho _DO_NOT_ improve productivity, instead, they
seem to have quite the opposite effect, not only that but they eat up
additional system resources in the process, not to mention the carbon
footprint of development.

Thank you for your time,

Isaac Close.