I use Avast Free which I've been running for the last few years. The
only annoyance is the "scanning completed" alerts which you can turn
off and you have to re-register the licence annually (takes a minute).
I switched from AVG free as it was becoming more of a resource hog.

I also use the inbuilt Windows Defender on Windows Vista. I use
Windows 8 occasionally and I noticed in that OS that the inbuilt
"defender" stuff seems to be much more like a typical malware checker.
There is no longer the "white flag" notice to "choose an antivirus
program online".

I don't run any kind of firewall on Linux except for the in-built one.
I see no need for one as I always use it on a home network and apart
from directory sharing I do not run public services.

I have never run any Linux anti-virus on laptop/desktop but I hear
clamav is popular.

On 20 January 2013 21:15, Ally Biggs <bluechr...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Avast anti virus in conjunction with malware bytes both are free never had a
> issue :)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 20 Jan 2013, at 16:24, "Chris Dennis" <cgden...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/01/13 12:42, Paul Stimpson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use AVG free edition. I'm happy with it and it always used to get rid
>>> of the stuff Norton wouldn't.
>>
>> I've always used and recommended AVG Free Edition, until yesterday when I
>> noticed that the free version no longer scans incoming emails!  So I think
>> I'm going to switch allegiance to the freen version of Avast.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Chris
>> --
>> Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com
>> Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK
>>
>> --
>> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry