Do you guys ever think there will be a day that Linux will be as popular as
Windows in the desktop market.

Personally I can't see this happening anytime soon. This isn't a personal
attack on Linux just want to get some thoughts and inspiration.

I use both Windows and Linux have a strong interest in both but currently am
having a tug of war with my thought patterns career wise. The majority of my
thoughts are saying focus on learning Linux starting with Linux+ with the
eventual aim of going for the RHCSE. The other half is saying go down the
Microsoft route taking a client exam and going for the server 2012 admin certs.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?
I would say that I enjoy Linux more the whole Open source ethos, I actually
feel like I am learning when using the cli as opposed to clicking my way
through the GUI in Windows.

Making the transition from Windows to Linux was challenging initially I
probably will continue to learn Linux (Redhat, Debian) for server related tasks
and use Win 7 for client tasks.

The thing which bothers me though about Linux ok it's free and if you have the
skills you can do great things but why isn't it being adopted more for everyday
use. Also why don't the developers standardise a distribution for the home user
i.e same package manager and packages.

The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan and
something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added your average
user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a terminal or spending hours
finding the solution into a community.

The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you to be some
kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting the whole encyclopaedia
of man pages. So when you ask for help or guidance you often get a dismissive
response.

Documentation is horrendous aswell especially if you are making the transition
from Windows. Pick up a starting to learn Linux book and a couple of pages in
you end up with the worlds worst headache.

So how did you guys learn Linux?
Has anyone else made the transition from Windows? Or what are the key areas to
focus on to develop a good foundation. Need some inspiration if I go down the
Linux route would I be missing out on much? Please help me resolve the tug of
war it is driving me mad :)

Sent from my iPhone