One question... Do you work for Google?

On Thursday 14 Feb 2013 15:33:58 j...@osml.eu wrote:

> I see a slightly different future for Linux.  The desktop, for many,
> will disappear.  The Chromebook is a V2.0 successor to the Network
> Computer.  It's a computing device.  Read you email:  Open a browser tab
> for G-Mail.  Edit a document/spread sheet/presentation: Open a browser
> tab for Google Docs/Sheets/Slides  \
>
> Chromebooks can do a lot of things, but they can do many things that
> many end users want to do.

Good grief, how many times have I heard this? "The Cloud", "software as a
service" etc. Yes, it suits a certain need, but it is not the all-encompassing
solution that many people would have you believe.

In fact, for a lot of "computing" (CPU/Graphics intensive) tasks (as distinct
from "communication" tasks i.e. e-mail etc.) it actually makes very little
sense, and displays a complete lack of understanding of what a "desktop" PC
can be (and in my case often is) used for.

However, there is good mileage in what we do at the moment, which is to use a
COTS machine (laptop, desktop or whatever) and download the software we wish
to use as a package, which you then install and run. This avoids the reliance
on a potentially iffy internet connection for most of the time.

Cheers, guys,

Tim B.

--
Hampshire Linux User Group Chairman