On 2013-02-14 14:54, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
One question... Do you work for Google?

On Thursday 14 Feb 2013 15:33:58 j...@osml.eu wrote:

I see a slightly different future for Linux.  The desktop, for many,
will disappear.  The Chromebook is a V2.0 successor to the Network
Computer. It's a computing device. Read you email: Open a browser tab for G-Mail. Edit a document/spread sheet/presentation: Open a browser
tab for Google Docs/Sheets/Slides  \

Chromebooks can do a lot of things, but they can do many things that
many end users want to do.

Maybe not now, but I still content: "Watch this space". Give the technology a chance to mature. The ChromeOS is about the stage of Linux 1.0. Say 2-3 years into development. I agree, it's got a long ways to go. I will never be right for everyone. But it is just about usable for many users with limited needs, and even more limited technical resources and skills. It a web browser appliance. Turn it on a go. Not far, but enough for many users.

Good grief, how many times have I heard this? "The Cloud", "software as a service" etc. Yes, it suits a certain need, but it is not the all-encompassing
solution that many people would have you believe.

But please look Chromebooks from the non-techie standpoint. No security problems, no patches to apply. No upgrades to struggle through. No backup to worry about. A lot of plus points for the casual Internet user.

In fact, for a lot of "computing" (CPU/Graphics intensive) tasks (as distinct from "communication" tasks i.e. e-mail etc.) it actually makes very little sense, and displays a complete lack of understanding of what a "desktop" PC
can be (and in my case often is) used for.

The big users of very very intensive graphics/cpu usage are considering 'in the cloud'
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/02/28/hollywoods-render-farms-move-to-the-cloud/

However, there is good mileage in what we do at the moment, which is to use a COTS machine (laptop, desktop or whatever) and download the software we wish to use as a package, which you then install and run. This avoids the reliance
on a potentially iffy internet connection for most of the time.

Yes, it a good solution for technically capable people. I'm with you 100% but most computer users are not technically capable. They may be when our kids grow up. Most will keyboard skills that will put many of us to shame. and they will have exposure to more a diverse computing environments than we had.