On 14/02/13 15:06, j...@osml.eu wrote:
...and it's getting even easier, ne' the Chromebook.  (groan issues from
the collective group)  But it's true.  It Linux Jim, but not as we know
it.  A large percentage of the MS Windows using public have waken up to
the fact that they don't need a 8-core i7, with a 2-gig video card, and
SSD, and 16 gigs of RAM, and a big screened retina display to browse the
web and read their e-mail.  The tablet boom-bubble has showed many
another way.  Microsoft no longer owns the end-user experience: think
iPads, smartPhones, BYOD at work.

My wife teaches at a local school, and frequently gets homework sent to her via email. One of the students sent her an attachment incorrectly, somehow attaching something called a .gdoc file. I was enlisted to help her attach the document correctly and took a guess and typed up a tech reply to her asking if it was a chromebook, turned out it was. She described it as "a new laptop my parents bought where all the documents are stored somewhere else".

Interesting to see the youth of today using Linux, even if they don't know it :)

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager