I think that GiffGaff is a good way to go.  If you topup £10 on a new SIM
provided by a current GiffGaff user, you'll get £5 free credit.  You can
then buy a goodybag to give you internet access from that credit.  With
500MB of data, you could get your first 3 months access for just £10.
 That's a cheap trial.

Either ask a current GiffGaff user to send you a SIM or you could use this
link if you like to request one yourself:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/2e0cet   If you just order a SIM from
their website without a referral  it is unlikely you will get the free
credit.

Hope this helps

Matthew