I make  considerable use of genealogy data which these days is more
often that not provided on CD in PDF format rather than online.

It has cost me quite a bit over the years to get these CDs. The first
edition of Berks FHS Baptisms @ £20 which I received two days ago is an
example, next year there will be a second edition to get as there
are lots of parishes missing!

For quite a few years I've used (non-free) acroread to access these
files quite simply because the free readers (evince, xpdf, et al)  just
aint good enough.

Acroread allows me to open files in multiple tabs which is fairly
important to me as I'm always needing to access baptism, marriages
and burials for a any particular parish at the same time. The
alternatives don't seem to be able to do this.

The problem is that acroread is a 32 bit application and Debian Sid
seems to be having problems with 32 bit libs at the moment with the
result that I cannot re-install acroread from the Debian multimedia
site. Nor can I install the deb which can be downloaded from Adobe.

It fails with this error

> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adobereader-enu:
>  adobereader-enu depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.4); however:
>   Package libgtk2.0-0:i386 is not installed.
>
> dpkg: error processing adobereader-enu (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
>  adobereader-enu

and it isn't possible to install libgtk2.0-0:i386 as trying to do so
requires installation of 55 other packages but that throws up another
error

> libc6 : Breaks: libc6:i386 (!= 2.17-2) but 2.17-1 is to be installed.
> libc6:i386 : Breaks: libc6 (!= 2.17-1) but 2.17-2 is installed.

I'm not sure how to get around this problem.

It isn't the first time I've had problems using 32 bit libs on a 64 bit
system but in the past I've been able to find a solution. I lost the 32
bit libs by a bit of careless clicking whilst doing an update ;-(

For the moment acroread is running on my system but without the 32 bit
support libs I don't know how long it will keep going, a reboot is
definitely a no-no at present.

any suggestions welcome (apart from suggestions I use a free
software package that is!)

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server