On 2013-05-13 12:11, john lewis wrote:

The problem is that acroread is a 32 bit application and Debian Sid
seems to be having problems with 32 bit libs at the moment with the
result that I cannot re-install acroread from the Debian multimedia
site. Nor can I install the deb which can be downloaded from Adobe.

Yes sadly they (Adobe) don't seem to distribute a 64bit native linux binary currently.

I'm not sure how to get around this problem.

do you have Google Chrome (not Chromium) installed... its embedded PDF viewer is actually by Adobe anyway. try Ctrl+o and open one of the PDF's and see if it works. if it does then just open multiple tabs :)