On 16/06/2013 09:12, Keith Edmunds wrote:
I'm looking for a simple-to-use camera that is Linux compatible. It's for
my mum, who is in her 70s, so point, click is about as complex as it needs
to be. Her PC runs Linux, supported by yours truly from 165 miles away, so
ideally she would connect the camera to the PC with a USB cable and it
would Just Work.

Thanks

I think probably all of them now look like a USB memory stick.
I guess they're typically composite devices (MSD+Camera) as normally you can also control them from PC.

One thing to check is that either it has a proper viewfinder, or the screen is usable in bright sunlight. My wife's camera struggled with that and we bought a pop-up sunshade for her camera:
http://delkin.com/c-147097-protect-pop-up-shade-universal.html
They're neat and work pretty well.

FWIW I've always been an Olympus enthusiast and Sue's that needed the sun-shade was the only shortcoming, ever.

Gordon.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a
quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed,

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.