On 19 August 2013 20:35, Ally Biggs <bluechr...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi thanks for the information. I'm not much of a programmer although I
> have started teaching myself BASH scripting and python trying to get to
> grips with programming concepts was pointed in the direction of Python for
> its ease of use.
>
> My interest is more in the way of providing Open Source solutions to small
> business / Charity completely bypassing the Windows side from a server
> perspective altogether.

Excellent, you have the tools and motivation.
Python is a great start, I use it every day, and it's becoming more and
more popular as it spreads into education. The small businesses and
charities think they can solve all their data needs in Excel, show them
what you can do with Python and a database.*

I highly suggest you read The Pragmatic Programmer, for the enlightenment
you are looking for.
http://pragprog.com/the-pragmatic-programmer

Also here is an AWESOME guide on using python:
http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/

Also get your face out there. I spend a lot of time with like minded
people, down the pub. The perfect place to exchange ideas.

Cheers,
Rich

* I plan to do another talk about databases in the September meetup, a 20
minute talk on knocking up an application in LibreOffice Base, and then
some rudimentary python/sql reporting if there is time or interest.