Hear hear.  DO GO TO MEETINGS OF LUGs.
As any fule kno, I am at the opposite end of the scale from 'guru' but I've learned such a lot (well it seems like that to me) from others at LUGs and the practical help so freely and helpfully given is exemplary. If I'd discovered LUGs ten years earlier, there would be a few fewer of my scanners, printers and computer components in landfill!

Tony Wood

As for how to break in, networking (the social sort, not computer networking)
is always a good idea.  Go to meets and clubs, they are not for gurus only,
talk on mailing lists etc.  My last three jobs have been from conversations
at meeting or triggered by remarks on LUG mail lists.