On 20/08/2013 07:27, Bob Dunlop wrote:
or ./configure && make && make install

You could consider  variant like this, too:

   (  ./configure ; make ; make install  )  2>&1  |  tee Errors.txt

FWIW, I personally always do the three stages of installing separately. The "make install" often needs a sudo, unless you're already root.

On 2013-08-19 20:35, Ally Biggs wrote:
Maybe I should come along to some meets and get hands on I've been a
bit put off though as I'm no guru.

Gurus have to start somewhere to become gurus and LUG meetings would be a good place.

If you're going to work for yourself and/or run a business of some kind, you need to practice taking a deep breath and walking in! Mostly afterwards you'll wonder why you were apprehensive. Occasionally you'll know you were right to be apprehensive, because that hurt.

Don't forget that one (of many) definition of an expert is someone who's half an hour ahead of you on the learning curve. ;-)

Gordon

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a
quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed,

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.