On 20 Aug 2014, at 23:48, Paul Tansom <p...@aptanet.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> They might get a superior product on any platform, but last I checked
>> Outlook with an Exchange backend was vey usable and with lync and Active
>> directory integration its nearly omnipresent!
>>
>> For the record, I dislike outlook a lot and prefer the simpler world of mail
>> on my mac and ical with gmail as my server side. On linux I’m undecided … I
>> usually resort to sylpheed on windows and linux but here’s the difference. I
>> and maybe you think clean elegant mail client, we are also a small,
>> possibly, single entity that needs to be agile with our choice of app and
>> can use gmail in the background.
>>
>> …. Outlook, Lync and Exchange is a communication juggernaught!  and the
>> people who use it expect it to hold 10+ years of email securely and reliably
>> for 200+ people and it be accessible everywhere! … that takes a lot of
>> energy and a lot of trust!
>>
>> so when you look at the need that exchange+outlook solves I really don’t see
>> a clear open source alternative, that is less work, more reliable and costs
>> less to implement.
>>
>> and that is the real problem!  when you need big reliable systems onsite …
>> you need to trust it - and it needs to work perfectly.
>>
>> … but if exchange is that important … it could be implemented in insolation,
>> and use the gnome/Evolution client as a substitute for Outlook … so either
>> someone internally is being a zealot or someone forgot to point out it's ok
>> to mix and match!
>>
>> hell they could even put it on Azure in a few mouse clicks! and a few more
>> to enable IMAP4 with TLS!
>>
>> Rule 4: not all problems are solved with the same solution. Identify which
>> problem you want to solve and built/use the right tool of the job.
> ** end quote [Joseph Bennie]
>
> When it comes to the fact that Exchange is an integrated suite with a single
> client app I sort of understand peoples liking for it. When I have had to work
> with it, either the couple of times I've worked on the server or when I've
> used
> a client I really don't get it big time. I've not worked with it since
> Exchange
> 2003 thankfully, but then, even on a relatively small site, it ran into
> capacity issues with the mail store and when it runs out of space you are
> completely stuffed - I've heard it has improved since, and for anyone
> administering it I really hope it has, but how it became so popular up until
> then is a mystery. Client wise, apart from the fact that Outlook integrates
> with a calendar feature, Outlook is the worst piece of mail software I've ever
> had the misfortune to work with; it is forever running out of space for mail
> and you end up archiving stuff, messing around with mail stores, etc.. The
> whole concept, on both server and client side, of putting everything into a
> monumental single file creating a single point of failure seems to be a
> disaster waiting to happen - on a regular basis.

the 2012 version and its spawn were completely rewritten and now work as 4
separate parts with can be installed on multiple nodes to achieve a fully
distributed service layer and data store…. and would you believe it support for
standard transports, not just proprietary.

and for the home admin, there is a one button install option, which works well.
But the real trick is making sure you have the correct public dns entries for
all the client zeroconfig stuff and an annual subscription to dyn.com mail
relay.  (or similar)

> The other issue currently annoying me may be a policy decision on the part of
> the administrator. I have a mail account that is run on an Exchange server,
> but
> to access it I can't use my standard mail client, it has to use native
> Exchange
> protocols. This is fine for my desktop as I just use the webmail interface,
> which seems to be just as nasty and awkward as most webmail apps, but no
> worse;
> I still have to remember to check it separately though, which I often forget
> do and miss emails. On my phone, however, things get worse as I need a native
> app; this wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that in order to install a
> native Exchange email client I have to give the server adminstrator full
> authority to completely wipe my phone - not a hope. If they supply me a
> dedicate phone fair enough, but not my own phone - actually they have supplied
> me a tablet to use, but because I have to check mail on a separate device,
> once
> again it gets left; having it on the devices you always use tends to make it
> easier and more likely to be checked.

activeSync works on the vast majority of devices, including android and legacy
Nokia so it probably is an admin botch up.

> The other reason I have the tablet is to read documentation related to this
> on,
> but don't get me started on the joys running a full Windows 7 desktop over RDP
> on a 7" tablet where you have to use the touch screen as a touchpad to
> actually
> move the mouse around and click on things - I keep forgetting the incantation
> for right clicking, and tapping often moves the mouse in the process given the
> resolution of the desktop vs screen/touchpad! Touch screens create more
> problems than they solve.

touch is just evil! give me  a mouse and keyboard anytime.