2011/6/28 Nguyen Vu Hung (VNC) <vuh...@vinicorp.com.vn>

> **
>

> (2011/06/28 14:02), Truong Anh. Tuan wrote:
>
>  <OT>> hmmmm... no. It's time to kill this myth for the great good of both>
> vietnamese people and foreigners.> [beli a good read about this:>
> http://www.tofugu.com/2010/06/18/top-10-reasons-a-japanese-girlfriend-wont-help-your-japanese/>
>  ]> </OT>
>
>  There is no reason to doubt Gwenhael. He has got a lot of experience
> about this. He also can not speak Vietnamese even after he got married
> to a Vietnamese beautiful girl :D
>

>  He is talking about Japanese.
> Was that *history* or my story? :)

the linked article is about japanese, it's an illustration. From this
particular japanese example and my experience I extrapolate that most of the
article is applicable to the general case. Furthermore if 2 people start a
relationship based on wanting to learn languages then both people will be
thoroughly disappointed and a failed romantic relationship can be rather
painful.

> Having a relationship with a "ganguro" is a bad idea if you want to learn
> Japanese.
> Simplely, what a "ganguro" speaks is not Japanese :)
>
> For expats those who want to stay in a foreign country, mastering the local
> language
> worths the investment.

Sure. Then again, some local languages and environments are more welcoming
than others. Being french I learned english mostly during a 2 months stay in
the US many years ago yet 6 years in Vietnam have done nothing to help me
learn vietnamese.

> However, in some cases, I think the side effect may devalue you:
>
> Vietnamese expects that you - a Western foreigner - can speak a language
> that they have to pay and learn.
> Don't command a Vietnamese with his mother tongue, use English!
>
> Btw, this is my random thought a year ago. Enjoy reading :)
> http://www.slideshare.net/vuhung16plus/betterservicesinvietnam

Ok, so I'm now curious why should I learn vietnamese if I shouldn't use it?