Bedis,

> Cause using the cores to decrypt traffic would reduce drastically
> overall performance.
> Well, this is what we saw on our HTTP cache server (running CentOS) on
> 8 cores hardware: when enabling SSL, the performance were so bad that

> So we kept our old Nortel vpn 3050 to handle the SSL traffic.

I'm astonished to hear that you had these kinds of issues on modern
hardware. We stopped using dedicated SSL hardware quite some time ago.

Of course, everyone's traffic is different. May I ask what volume of
traffic (Connections / second, Megabits) you are dealing with that
saturated an 8 core machine?

> we should have ordered more chassis and licences to handle the same
> traffic... leading to earn less money :)

What web/ssl server were you using and what version of CentOS. The use
of the word licenses is interesting :)

Were you already high in CPU consumption without the SSL traffic on the
machine?

-JohnF