Hi John,

Without entering too much in details, we have a mutualized reverse
proxy cache platform in order to accelerate HTTP content (you can call
it CDN ;) ) on which we use an HTTP reverse proxy caches coded by a
third party company.
The reverse proxy software run over a centos linux and has a cost (licence).
The hardware is HP server (2U) with 2 quad cores, 32G of memory and a
lot of hard drives.
I can't remember the numbers exactly, but when we tested the SSL
capacity inside the HTTP accelerator, we decreased a lot the overall
performance (maybe because of the code) and to keep the same capacity
(HTTP throughput) on our CDN we should have bought more servers and
more licences.

Without SSL enabled, we tested the HTTP accelerator with live traffic
at more than 700MB/s, more than 20K HTTP Req/s and 80% of CPU...
With only a small percentage of this traffic encrypted the performance
decreased a lot, but I can't remember how much :/
Note that in a normal day, our caches run only at 10% of CPU and 100 Mb...

Note that we did not saturated our servers with SSL, I'm just saying
that to keep enough free capacity to absord customer's pike traffic,
we should have bought more servers and licences and the cost would
have been too much. It was cheaper to let our old vpn3050 in the racks
doing the job :)
Maybe it's related to the code of our supplier ;)
Anyway, they were working on improving their SSL capacity by taking
advantage of offloading the SSL computation to a daughter card into
the chassis and keep on using the CPUs and memory to do HTTP
acceleration, URL rewrite, ACLs, etc.... All the SMART stuff :)

Note: the software is not Varnish ;)