Thomas,

This post really made me smile :-).

HAProxy allows:
non-sticky
Source IP Hash
Source IP Stick table
Cookie (self managed self inserted transparent etc.)
Cookie (based on reading the web servers session cookie)

If your web server(s) are scalable i.e. handles their own sessions in
a SHARED  backend database or memcache then you don't need ANY sticky
on the load balancer.

Any form of sticky on the load balancer means that a single server
failure will break your users session (which may not be a major
problem)
If your app handles its own state then any server failure doesn't really matter.

For your case I would go with:
Cookie (self managed self inserted transparent etc.)
As suggested by the previous example config.

On 11 March 2011 15:44, Thomas Manson <dev.mansontho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gabriel,
>
>   I've read that HAProxy is capable of keeping a set of http request directed
> to the same webserver. (I think the feature is called 'Sticky Session' on
> Websphere Cluster)
>

> So, can anyone confirm that it's possible or not possible to have a "sticky
> session" feature with HAProxy  ?
> If possible : howto/best practice?
> If not : well I'll try the memcache solution ;)

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
http://www.loadbalancer.org/