On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:37:16PM -0400, James Bardin wrote:
> Just throwing my $.02; how about converting the documentation to
> something more easily parse-able, like markdown?

You mean the mainline doc ? If so, it's been discussed to great length in
the past, and the short answer is "no". The documentation is always what
lags behind code. Whatever barrier you put in front of doc contribs will
simply slow them down. I've experienced this a lot in the past with the
french doc version which was never updated in contribs. Here I already
see what will happen : "I've updated the doc but I'm not sure about the
end results as I don't have the tool to regenerate it". The current format
leaves no excuse for this. I want a human to be able to parse it and to
have to conform to very few rules.

What I want is a *smart* converter which understands the doc format. Once
we spot the real issues (ambiguous situations where we cannot guess), then
we'll fix the format and add a few rules.

Also, I regularly receive support from people who work on production
systems where they have no choice but reading the doc in the 80x25 text
console with vi or less. I absolutely want the doc to be optimally
usable there. This means no tags, no long lines, etc... Just plain
text formatted right and convertible to other formats for a nicer
experience when it's possible.

BTW, a "man" output would be nice too ;-)

I remember about asciidoc and such which were able to produce various
formats, and which could serve as an intermediary format later when
we're able to parse what we have.