Well, it turns out it was the "option httpclose" that was set on the
defaults

I commented out both httpclose and http-server-close and I got the desired
throughput, 2k+ req/sec, then I enabled http-server-close and ran the test
again and still got the desired throughput, enabling httpclose made it go
down to 100 req/sec. Why would this cause such behavior though?

Thanks