 From: David Coulson <da...@davidcoulson.net>
To: Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Baptiste <bed...@gmail.com>; "haproxy@formilux.org" <haproxy@formilux.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: HAproxy and detect split-brain (network failures)

HAProxy only does primary and backup in terms of active backend systems - You
can have a pool of primary that it routes across, then backup systems that are
only used when all primary systems are unavailable.

There is no concept of a cluster in terms of haproxy instances,
    although you can run more than one and manage them via something
    like pacemaker, keepalived or rgmanager.

On 11/29/12 1:19 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:

Hi,
>From a quick look into HAProxy, I see that it is a Primary/backup
>architecture. So isn't ensuring that both "nodes" don't become primary part of
>HAProxy's primary/backup "protocol" ?

            ensure high
>availability to do that.
>
>I could see a way where HAProxy can report one interface
            failing,
>maybe this could help you to detect if you're in a split
            brain
>situation.
>
>cheers
>

>On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am looking into using HAProxy as our load balancer.
>> I see that you are using a primary/backup approach. I
            was wondering how does
>> HAProxy (if it does) address split-brain situation? Do
            you have a mechanism
>> to detect and avoid it? Do you have some standard
            recommendation to all